1. Alabama Crimson Tide (.984)
2. Florida State Seminoles (.935)
3. Oregon Ducks (.932)
4. Ohio State Buckeyes (.855)
5. Missouri Tigers (.822)
My initial reaction: OMG! Mizzou in the top 5?????? YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!
What to make of the standings/my calmed down reaction: This looks like a year where one loss WILL eliminate you from NC contention. Right now, we have 10 undefeated teams, including all top 5 teams. Here's 5 observations from this weeks top 5.
1. Alabama controls its own destiny: As long as Alabama can win its games and win the SEC championship game, they should not have to worry about anything.
2. Florida State over Oregon is a fluke in the long run: This is where the main controversy is. Many people can't understand why Florida State is currently ahead of Oregon for the number two spot. Don't worry, this isn't permanent. Florida State leads Oregon right now because the Seminoles hold a HUGE lead in the computer polls (1st vs. 4th). Oregon still has games against UCLA and Stanford coming up. If Oregon wins these two games, they will leapfrog Florida State for the number 2 spot.
3. Ohio State needs a lot of help: Ohio state comes into the rankings 4th. The computers have Ohio State 5th, including being ranked 8th by both Kenneth Massey and Jeff Sagarin. Unfortunately, Ohio State doesn't have many more games against top-notch opponents to help boost their resume. Their best game is the last game of the season at the Big House. The Buckeyes are going to need a loss from 2 of the top 3 teams in order in make it into the championship game, and even that may not be enough.